Texas A&M University Class Councils and MSC Aggie Cinema are collaborating with The Association of Former Students for a March 24 drive-in movie event on campus.
With a retro nostalgia theme, the inaugural event will feature a video highlighting Aggie traditions and a full-length movie, “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.”
The event is open to the first 300 Texas A&M students, faculty or staff who purchase a $15 ticket through the. Each ticket covers the cost of five people per vehicle. Vehicles arriving with more than five people will not be allowed to enter and refunds will not be issued.
“This drive-in event aims to unite Texas A&M students by highlighting some of our beloved traditions,” said Michael Bailey, event planner for Class Councils. “Because of the pandemic, we’ve had to make changes to many traditions, but our goal is to stay the course, educate students about the significance of class traditions and have some fun.”
The drive-in event will be held at the Fan Field parking lot on West Campus, located on Research Parkway adjacent to the Bush School of Government and Public Service and the George H.W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum. For specific directions, search for “Fan Field Parking” on the.
Those unable to attend in person may join via theto participate in raffles and the pre-event show. The movie will not be showed on Instagram.
Gates will open at 6:30 p.m., and the movie will play from 7:45 p.m. until about 9:30 p.m. In the days and hours leading up to the event, Class Councils will email those who purchased tickets and will post on Instagram to inform attendees on how to access the movie on location.
Concessions will not be available, but attendees may bring food to enjoy inside the vehicle.
Those who attend in person will be asked to follow Texas A&M and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention COVID-19 guidelines:
- All members of your party must remain inside your vehicle or in the truck bed for the duration of the event.
- You may leave your vehicle only to use the restroom or if you need assistance from event staff.
- If you exit your vehicle to use the restroom or to get assistance, you must keep six feet of distance between yourself and others and you must wear a face covering. Participants are strongly encouraged to wear face coverings inside their vehicle, especially if they are with friends with whom they do not live.
- Limit close contact and create space between others in the vehicle as much as possible.
- Improve airflow in the car by opening the windows or setting the air conditioner to non-recirculation mode.
- Avoid touching high-touch surfaces such as handrails, and wash your hands or use hand sanitizer after leaving the restroom area.
- Follow CDC guidance on how to .
- Wash your hands immediately after you return home.
“We are always excited to show movies on campus for our fellow Aggies,” said Neha Deshmukh, vice chair for MSC Aggie Cinema. “This drive-in event is a great way to safely bring people together during times of social distancing.”
The Association of Former Students is supporting the event by assisting with programming, providing personal protective equipment for event workers, and sponsoring prizes for six winners of the Instagram Live contest. Winners may pick up their prizes in person or may request that they be mailed. Contact The Association of Former Students at 979-845-7514 for more details.